21/3/11
When I was a child, I had a very strong sense that there are some things that are right and some things that are wrong. Like my moral code was the right one. I am sure that it is not an uncommon childhood belief, but I think I probably held on to it for a long time.
I now know that life is so much more complicated than that, and that in fact there are all sorts of opinions, and everyone believes that theirs is the correct one.
And these opinions range from the ones that would make any human being cringe with disgust, like homicide, incest and torture; to the more mundane, and more acceptable, like war. (which, by the way, still makes me cringe).
The longer I live, the more I am convinced that I am the only one with my particular set of beliefs, and this sometimes makes me feel very lonely.
I had a very interesting socialist discussion about health care with a patient today. You see, I believe that health care should be free for all, regardless of colour, race, income, or even species. But I also know that my convictions, (and in the past, my eagerness to express them), have gotten me into trouble. I have come to realise that I am a minority. In this little planet known as Yellow Fluff.
An ex-boyfriend sent me a friend request after 9 months (9 months!!!!!) of silence.
Did he just expect me to jump for joy and accept that he would be privy to images of my children, my friends, my life, after dumping me ON THE PHONE???????
See what I mean? Craziness of the world, craziness of people.
Some people reading this might think that it was a really good/noble/brave thing he did to contact me after so long to say that he enjoyed my company and that he would like to be my friend. Well, he obviously has not visited the planet Yellow Fluff, not really. That planet where temperatures soar well beyond 100C, fire spits out of small volcanoes, and so on.
People just do things differently, and think so differently. I know it makes the world more exciting, and varied. But it makes being an adult very complicated. Nothing is a straight line, nothing is a primary colour.
This is why I adore my friends. People who I have chosen to love; and my family, who in the most part have shared the same experiences that I have; and therefore understand better than others where my beliefs came from. And those people who are my chosen family, my close friends.
I have friends who would cringe at my political and social ideals, I have friends who think that my distaste of eating meat is silly, I have friends who believe in God, I have friends who believe in capital punishment, and others still who drink lots of alcohol, or are teetotallers. I have friends who believe that the only good cat is a flat cat, or that the only way to have a dog is on the barbie (that was a joke!).
But I guess the common denominator of all the people that I choose to count as my friends is that these are people that I respect, admire, look up to. People who make me laugh, or that I choose to journey with. People who make my life better in one way or another. I think that people don't need to think like me to be right. I believe in what is right for people. I believe in conviction. I love confidence.
But I despise silence as a form of communication. It is empty, meaningless, and a passive aggressive dishonesty that I cannot abide.
I think all my friends are great communicators.
But who says I am right? My rules only apply on my little planet.
Prose, poetry, thoughts by an Adelaide author who happens to also be a GP and sole parent
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Sex, love and looking for brains
14/6/10 When you are not in a relationship, there are certain parts of your anatomy that lay dormant, unnecessary, so to say. And then when ...
-
Today I am going to tell you a story. It begins on the summer of 2001, with a 16 day heat wave. The thermometer soared above 26 degrees ...
-
I spent the week working, making money, doing important things that important adults do. I was tired by the time the weekend came. And yet,...
No comments:
Post a Comment
Thank you very much for your comment. If you would like a free story and be emailed new blog posts, please follow by email